Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last of the First

Today is Tyler's last day of first grade! Here are a few highlights of some great things he has done. The goals he made for himself at the parent/teacher/student conferences were to "paint more", and to "do second grade or maybe even first grade work". Maybe next year he will be a little more challenged.
He ran in the fun run with Dad and Andrew. Andrew and Lee finished the mile in about 12 minutes. Tyler was way ahead of them (about two minutes I think). When they passed out the awards for first, second, and third place for the first graders, Tyler said to me, "It was a race?" After all it is called a fun run!
He met and passed the school reading challenge, the first graders had to read 75 pages in two weeks...he read 407! Because he met the goal he got to go to the "Hannah Montana concert", it was his principal dressed up. Tyler said it was funny.
He learned that sometimes you can not always hear all the letters in words. Too bad is teacher didn't figure that out.
He can follow directions, kind of. He made his job a lot harder than it needed to be...it says square (easy to draw), he read squirrel (not so easy to draw).
He has loved the Diary of a Worm, Diary of a Fly, and Diary of a Spider series so much that he wrote a new book called Diary of a Ladybug. We looked up information about ladybugs, so he could write about them. He took his book to school and read it to his class. (I'm glad his teacher let him read it to them.)
He finds out who his teacher for second grade is this afternoon. But before he goes to second grade we have summer! (He wants to write more books, build a robot, and design roller coasters this summer.)

5 comments:

Bree said...

wow! He sounds so smart! :) He's got a few challenges on his plate for the summer! I hope you can keep up!

Deanna said...

wow! he is growing up so quickly! and so smart! good luck with the roller coaster Tyler!

Trever and Heather said...

That's the world's cutest squirrel!

Jessica said...

Way to go Tyler! You did it! I sure hope you get more challenged next year. I love the hear part of the post about his teacher. I would like to hear your books you write! Good luck with fun stuff this summer! :D Jess

Emily S said...

I had the exact same experience with a "fun run" in the 7th grade. I ran and walked slowly with my friends, and then was flabbergasted to find that there were winners . . . Love the book he wrote!