We had our Pine Wood derby last Wednesday. Our ward invited the Activity Day girls and siblings to join in the fun. That meant that Andrew got to make a car too. Tyler and Andrew both designed their own cars. They had a little bit of help with the cutting from Lee and Grandpa Crookston. They each had a great time making a car. It's a good thing they liked making the cars, because our Pack really messed up with weighing the cars, and that really affects the race. (Hey, I was busy with another portion of the event. We talked about the weight limits during our meeting, so I could only assume they would follow the requirements.) We did have other activities to do in the gym when they were waiting for their turn to race, like a balance beam, eye test, pit crew pictures, and two estimation jars (Tyler won one), etc. but, it turned out to be a lot more work and not much participation. Oh well, live and learn. Before they could race and get their Driver Licence each participant had to sign a Racer Contract. It stated: I will have fun. I will enjoy cheering for others. I will not eat all the donuts. I will not touch other people's cars. I will still have fun. I cut away part of the contract, so when they signed it they were really signing a paper behind it, and wrote their name on their award. (Which no one told the Bishopric they were judging, luckily one of the counselors has a daughter in Activity Days and was there and willing to help.) I was too busy most of the time to even watch the races, but I think the boys (and girls) had fun.
Tyler proud of his car. There was some confusion about which part of his car was the front during the sanding process. Tyler actually ended up turning his car around and changing which side was the front.
Andrew proud of his car. Anyone that has been anywhere near Andrew during the past year or two knows he loves Star Wars and jet packs. His inspiration for his car was of course a jet pack.
Andrew proud of his car. Anyone that has been anywhere near Andrew during the past year or two knows he loves Star Wars and jet packs. His inspiration for his car was of course a jet pack.
The judging table. The pink car is not my Emma's, but I thought it was fun to see the difference between the girl and boy cars.
We borrowed the movie Down and Derby from the library and watched it with the projector on Saturday. I am glad Lee didn't act like the dads in the movie. It's not really worth watching, so I will spoil it for you and tell you the funniest quote (even if it is not realistic). So, the dads want to have the best car and letting the boys help do the work would ruin the car right, so they keep telling the kids that they can help when they get to the fun stuff. The boys figure out the dads want them to go away bad enough they will give them money to go to the movies or pool or something with their friends. So, now the boy walks in and asks the dad if they are to the fun stuff yet, and the dad hands them money. The boys are sitting on the curb with money and one says, "I can't wait until I'm a dad and get to make a car."
Tyler actually really liked the very, very, and I mean the credits are about to roll, end.
No comments:
Post a Comment