Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Kayla's Garden

The pattern.
Tyler got up early before school one morning and drew a picture. He showed it to me and I thought it looked nice. Then he told me it was a pattern for a quilt. (A few days later he drew another one that was a variation of an American flag, in case the baby was a boy.) Tyler was more excited for the ultrasound then he was for Christmas. He found out Kayla was a girl on Christmas Eve. Christmas day was a Sunday. Monday morning we were at the fabric store looking at material. We made a few changes (like we used fabric that had flowers printed on it, so some of the flowers are different than he originally planned) but the finished product looks pretty close to the pattern. Tyler picked what part of the big flowers we would cut down to make them look different, he helped cut the fabric, and he arranged everything and then pinned it down. His Grandma Gibby sewed the flowers on applique style, bound it and did all the the quilting in the pictures. I've since quilted the stems and leaves. He calls it "Kayla's Garden." Now I just need to convince Tyler to let me enter the quilt in the Cache County Fair.
Kayla's Garden
Flowers, butterflies, and the back.
The lady bug and caterpillar.
The cocoon and sun.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

I love the story and the quilt!

Lora said...

That is absolutely adorable! Wish I had me some of those skills!

Lindsey said...

Tyler's design is fabulous! And the execution was great! What a fun quilt for Kayla!

Deanna said...

you all did an amazing job! I think his Kayla will treasure that quilt forever because her big brother designed it for her.