It is Teacher Appreciation Week at Hillcrest Elementary this week. I went and decorated the room door for Tyler's teacher, Miss Dopp, on Saturday last week. I also volunteered my normal two hours on Monday and taught the four kindergarten classes Art last Wednesday.
A few weeks ago another member of the PTA called and asked me to do (not just help with) some other things for Teacher Appreciation Week. She wanted me to do things like serve banana splits to the teachers on their lunch break, decorate the faculty room for the luncheon, serve the luncheon, make and decorate the ceiling! (so the kids don't step on the stars) a walk of fame, etc. The lady that called said she couldn't do any of the assignments because she has a son (who is about four) that she would have to bring with her.
Here is why the guilt is setting in...I told her no to all of the assignments!! By the time they needed me, Tyler would have been out of class since it is only an AM class. I would have had to bring three kids. I explained that I was already doing a lot. Well, like I said that was a few weeks ago, she may have found someone else to help her out, but I feel like I am letting the school down. I know I am not really that important, but in my mind none of those things are going to happen because I am not doing them. This is going to be a long week!
5 comments:
I wouldn't feel guilty at all. You have to know your limits and what you can and can't do.
Don't worry about it. If the other lady said she couldn't do it because she would have to bring 1 child, why should she feel okay about asking you to do all of her assignments (and your own) with 3 children?
Same old Becca. You are amazing and always have been. It's hard to say no, but I'm sure after this week is over, you will be glad you did. It sounds like you already do more than is expected. You're awesome and you don't want to burn yourself out by taking on too much.
YAY! I'm proud of you! You said NO! GO BECCA! Don't feel guilty---sometimes you get to choose what you can and cannot do! I know its hard b/c you are the go and get it done and not only that but get it done right and perfect! So you feel like you've let people down, but guess what-none of the teachers will know that you said no. So it doesn't matter what happens or doesn't you have no part of it...and you are free! You've done tons for the school and for Tyler's class. You are an amazing person. You can help more at the school the next few weeks! :D L8rz Jess :D
I'm with Susan and Staci on this one...hope everything turned out ok :}
Post a Comment