Friday, March 2, 2012

Extra Generous

The background: Our life insurance company, Modern Woodmen of America, is a not for profit company. They do lots of community donations and service and give away the funds that would normally be counted as profit. (For instance, I arranged for them to donate 750 jump ropes to Woodruff Elementary.) They have Youth Service Clubs that have monthly activities for the children members in the area. I am a volunteer leader for one of the youth clubs. (Modern Woodmen is still fairly new in Utah. They are growing in Davis and Weber counties, but my group here in Logan is still just my own kids.) We hope to add to our group soon...since Lee is officially signed on as a Financial Representative!

The story: I contacted CAPSA (Community Abuse Prevention Services Agency) to see if a donation of children's book would be something they could use. They were excited about that and I told them I would bring them in the next day. We went to Jenson Books and picked out 50 books. (When I told Jenson Books we were donating them to CAPSA they were impressed and told us to find 20 more!) We brought the books home and added a bookmark to each book. The next day we delivered the books. They were really grateful for the books. They had me fill out some paperwork. The last question kind of threw me off, it asked how I found out about CFSC. That made me notice the wall, that in very large letters said Child and Family Support Center. After we walked out, I turned to Lee and said, "That's not CAPSA." I had that building in mind the whole time, but apparently I had called a different place and I told someone they would have books coming. The Child and Family Support Center was, of course, very happy with the donation. We got back in the van, and went to Jenson Books again. (And I had to admit to Jenson Books that the donation they thought was going to CAPSA didn't.) We picked 50 more books, added bookmarks, found out the location of CAPSA, and made a second delivery. My mistake benefited both organizations. Our plan to donate 50 books ended up being 120 books!
Placing bookmarks in each book.

No comments: