Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mellow Yellow

We were discharged from the hospital on Wednesday. At the hospital they tested Laura's bilirubin (jaundise) twice (the first time they didn't collect enough blood). It came back in the high intermediate risk zone, but because we had an appointment set with our doctor for Monday, they let us leave. After we got home, at 9:40 pm an on-call doctor from McKay Dee called and said we needed to come back the next day to have another test done. Lee had him send the lab order to the Logan Regional Hospital.
We had the test done daily, but then it turned into quite an ordeal to get the results. I couldn't get them from Logan because I am not a doctor and did not have the reference number from a doctor. I couldn't get the results from my doctor because 1) he was not the doctor that ordered the test and 2) he was out of town. I couldn't get the results from McKay because 1) they told me to call my doctor or 2) because the doctor on-call was now different than the one that ordered the test or 3) the doctor was busy and he would call me back or 4) the person that answered the phone "was just clerical and even though she can see the results in the computer and has worked there for 14 years and understands them, she is not a doctor and can not tell me the results".
In the meantime...Laura's results came back higher and a different on-call doctor at McKay sent the Logan Home Healthcare guy over to bring us a "bilibed" and a "biliblanket". (For $100 a day rental). (Tyler and Andrew thought the guy was saying "belly bed" so they thought it was to take off the rest of the umbilical cord and "fix her belly button".) We just had to check back each day to see the test results of that day, to find out if she could come off the lights (see above ordeal). Laura spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning on the bilibed. It is essentially a UV light box that she lays on with a gown that velcros to the box to keep the UVs on her and out of the rest of the room. She also had a biliblanket that straped to her stomach, so she got UVs from the bottom and top. We could only pick her up to feed her. Otherwise she just had to cry it out. She has learned to fall asleep on her own, and she can sleep through the noise of the machines. (So can Emma, who is in the same bedroom.) We do another test on Monday but for now she is off the machines!

7 comments:

Trever and Heather said...

Yikes! I guess it's good they have stuff to bring home with you, but that sure is sad for a brand new baby and new mommy to go through...

Deanna said...

I hope everything turns out great! I hated not being able to hold Grace, it was so hard. glad to hear everything else is ok!

Anonymous said...

Libby's Belly Bed took a couple of weeks to work, but her belly button has been fixed now. We hope all is well, call us if you need anything.

The Lloyds said...

She looks like a keeper! We are glad that everything went ok.

Emily S said...

Yucky! I had the same problem trying to get Josh's results. I don't get it - uh, hello, baby in jeopardy here. Sorry about your troubles. There is a bright side to all of this - she already knows how to sleep it out by herself!

Parrish Family said...

Your baby is so cute! She looks very sweet. Congratulations! And I know the about the joys of those beds. Sam had to be in one for a week! It was so hard, but thankfully he got all better and then I just held him for a LONG time! Goodluck with everything, it will all work out!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations you guys! She looks beautiful and so adorable. I hope her bili level is getting under control for you so you can stop all the run-around with the lab, etc. What a pain!